India’s rural population outnumbers city dwellers two to one. The current Indian government has a desire to connect rural India with urban, and has set some ambitious targets: achieve 100% rural electrification by 2019; increase rural tele-density to 100% by 2020; provide broadband connectivity through optical fibre to all gram panchayats (village councils) by December 2018. From the 420 million internet users in June 2017, it is expected that there will be 730 million Internet users in India by 2020, with 75-80% of user growth coming from rural India. Such initiatives provide opportunities for marketers to reach India’s rural population.
What else does this article talk about?
- Low-income, BOP consumers
- Local communities
Interested in seeing what other marketing challenges WARC covers?
WARC’s coverage is unrivalled – grouping articles, case studies and research around 100 different marketing topics, arranged across 11 themes.
What do I get with WARC?
- 65,000+ articles covering the full spectrum of marketing communications.
- Including over 12,000 effectiveness case studies revealing the campaign strategies of the world's leading brands to help maximize ROI.
- Best practice guides that explain the how and why of marketing challenges to stay ahead of the ever-changing marketing landscape.
- Marketing intelligence, trend reports, brand profiles and event reports to give your brand clear competitive advantage.